Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why you should see the Hunger Games, even if you don't want to




I was extremely skeptical when I bought my ticket for The Hunger Games on Saturday night. I feared that the movie would just be a different version of the Twilight Series, but after seeing the film, the only comparison between the two is that they were based on a series of books. And had The Hunger Games not been based on a book series, there is no way anyone would put them in the same sentence. Before I get to why you need to see it, let me first break down what it’s about, even with all the hype the movie has been getting, I’ve still found a lot of people don’t actually know any of the plot.

So basically the movie takes place in the future where there is one big beautiful capital city that is extremely wealthy and twelve surrounding districts barely get enough food to stay alive. Once a year the Capitol, in order to remind the districts how much power they have over the districts, hold The Hunger Games. Each district sends a boy and a girl aged 12-18 to participate. The Hunger Games are simply a fight to the death. All 24 contestants are put in a forest setting, and fight to the death for as long as it takes and the entire country watches.

So here are my top five reasons why you should see the Hunger Games:

1. At its core, the movie is about a 24 person fight to the death. If you like sports of any kind, that has to appeal to you. On that same note, if you watch Survivor you will like this movie. Making alliances in a game where there can only be one winner is always dangerous.

2. It has an awesome cast. Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, and Elizabeth Banks headline a great cast that all do an amazing job.

3. The movie is sufficiently violent. Another concern of mine even after hearing what it was about, was that because it was a book written for teens, there wouldn’t actually be enough fighting to the death. I was mistaken, this movie is far more brutal than I thought and I would not bring my little sister to it.
  
4. I have read the book, and this is not one of those movies that you can’t follow because the writers are too concerned with throwing in random characters to please the nerds. The movie is as close to the book’s original form as it can be.

5. I could watch Jennifer Lawrence do just about anything for two and half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment