Friday, February 3, 2012

Hoping for Greg Oden


Photo courtesy of Tom Lipman

            Although we have mentioned Greg Oden on numerous occasions here at Loveboatsports, today’s reference is that of a more somber one.  Earlier today, Greg Oden underwent surgery on his right knee.  To clarify, this is not the knee that was in question earlier in December.  The Trail Blazers were reporting that knee, the left one, might be operated on today.  Doctors are cleaning up debris in the right knee and hope that is the only problem. 
            The last time Oden played in a professional basketball game was in December of 2009.  T.I.’s song Live Your Life Ft. Rihanna was the #1 song if that gives you any sort of reference point.  In 4+ years in the league, Greg Oden has played 82 games, one full season.  And although it’s not surprising, it is amazing how our expectations of him have changed since he was drafted ahead of Kevin Durant in 2007.  Although his first season was unsurprisingly plagued by injury, I remember a collective feeling of disappointment with his play.  Now as I look back at his stats, I defensively justify his value.  I mean yeah he’s not a franchise player, but he averaged ten point and eight rebounds and was a defensive force.  Other than averaging over six fouls per 36 minutes, he was a pretty efficient player.  But thinking of him as an efficient player, hell any type of player, has been burrowed in the deepest part of my mind.
            Whenever I see Oden’s name in a headline, my heart instantly fills with a feeling of dread.  There are countless other stories of players with sad, injury-riddled careers, but Oden’s has stuck with me for some reason.  At this point I realize my hope for a legitimate comeback is irrational.  But, hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment