Thursday, December 15, 2011

Who to Root For this NBA Season




I already wrote a piece on reasons to watch every NBA team this year, but I just can’t contain my excitement for the NBA season.  Now that the Chris Paul disaster is in the rearview, we can all look forward to the slate of Christmas day games.  In the meantime here are 10 NBA players I’m going to be rooting for this year.


Greg Oden- There are so many reasons I root for Greg Oden.  I’m a big Ohio State fan and watched him dominate the rest of the country his freshman year, he’s hung like a horse, and most importantly his career has been incredibly sad up to this point.  He’s played in 82 games since he was drafted in 2007.  That mean’s he’s missed 246 games since he was drafted in 2007.  After another setback Blazers’ officials said they hope Oden is able to make it back onto the court at all.

Jimmer Fredette- If Jimmer Fredette does well this year (doubtful), he will be the Tim Tebow of the NBA: White, with a game that shouldn’t translate to the professional league.  Tim Tebow has undoubtedly been the main storyline of the NFL this year and something similar with The Jimmer could do wonders for the NBA.

Rajon Rondo- Some stories have come out recently about Rajon Rondo going crazy in the Celtics’ locker room.  I’m willing to say that being dangled as trade bait will not stabilize Rondo’s emotional outlook.  Hopefully Rondo worked on his jumpshot during his time off and is ready to dazzle us all this year.

John Wall- A lot of people are predicting this is the year John Wall will make “the leap”.  As a Wizards fan, I hope all of the pundits are right.  Grantland had a good piece on what John Wall needs to improve to become an elite guard.

Steve Nash- At this point it looks like the Suns are headed toward irrelevancy.  So more than anything, I’m rooting for Steve Nash to be traded to a contender.  It would be a shame if such a fun player to watch, and reportedly good guy and mentor, never won an NBA championship.  Dirk got his last year, hopefully Nash has a ring in his future.

Ricky Rubio- Reasons why you should be excited for Mr. Rubio were outlined here.  However, another reason I’m going to be rooting for Ricky is because I think he’s got a steep learning curve ahead of him.  The faster he adjusts to the more physical NBA, the better off the Timberwolves will be.

Tim Duncan- Tim Duncan showed serious signs of slowing down last year.  It was the first year of his career that he didn’t average a double-double.  I’m rooting for Tim Duncan because I don’t want to see one of the top 10 players of all time, and one of my personal favorites, play at a replaceable level.  This could be his last year of above-average basketball.

Antawn Jamison- Steve Nash corollary.  After watching Antawn Jamison lose in the playoffs year after year in Washington, watching him play for Cleveland is extra depressing.  Every Wizards fan I know loved Jamison and his floater; it sucks that he’s wasting away in Cleveland as we speak.

Eddy Curry- After gaining an excrutiating amount of weight, dealing with family issues, and being kidnapped Eddy Curry is finally back in the NBA.  Now like most people, it’s hard for me to root for the Heat in any capacity but I think this will qualify as an exception.  Hopefully Eddy Curry has a great season and leads the Miami Heat to another not NBA Championship.

Players I am not rooting for:

Andray Blatche/Nick Young/Javale McGee

1 comment:

  1. wow
    "Players I am not rooting for:


    Andray Blatche/Nick Young/Javale McGee"

    Lol

    ReplyDelete