Friday, December 30, 2011

Sports Moments that Made my Jaw Drop: a Countdown

In two weeks, I'll be 19 years old. Over that period, I have bore witness to countless sporting events, viewed wither on television, in the stands, or as a player myself. Following most of these occasions, I would change the channel, leave my seat, or walk off the field and forget about the game's goings-on within a few days or weeks.
But there were exceptions; events, either momentary or prolonged, that left a clear and lasting impression on me, even to this day. Below, I have compiled a list of the occurrences in sports that did the best job of boggling my mind over the last 15 or so years (my first sports memory is from when I was four), along with when it happened and where I was at the time. You may read it and notice events that would most certainly be considered snubs if excluded from a countdown of the most memorable sports events of the last two decades (there are no NBA selections, for example, because up until very recently I just hadn't cared enough about it), but that is not what this is. This list is personal. It has as much to do about me as it does about these moments themselves. So please bear that in mind.


#10: Usain Bolt Tears it up in Beijing

When: August 16, 2008
Where I Was: My beach house
I must have averaged 6 hours a day in front of the TV over the 2008 Olympic games. I couldn't pull myself away from all the incredible performances being put on on a daily, even hourly basis. Nevertheless, I was particularly excited, as many others were, for the 100m final. There is a certain allure that accompanies a race like this. Since I don't keep up with the sport at all besides the Olympics, its outcome determines, in my mind, the fastest man (and person) in the world for the next four years. But Usain Bolt exceeded just that. He proved that he was the fastest human being ever conceived, and without even trying all that hard. Bolt exploded past everyone else within about 60 meters and practically jogged to a 9.69 world record (beating his own 9.72) from there, arms outstretched. He would go on to vanquish another WR in the 200m, in equally impressive form. What left me flabbergasted wasn't the world records he set, but how little effort he seemed to require to achieve them. An incredible feat that left the world wondering, what more could he do? Until this happened.

#9: Uruguay Defeats Ghana in 2010 World Cup Quarterfinal

When: July 2, 2010
Where I was: My basement, jumping up and down
I'll admit that, heading into the South Africa games, I really knew nothing about soccer. I knew maybe 10 or so players combined in the entire tournament. But starting with its tournament-opening 1-1 tie with France, I fell in love with the Uruguay team. Suarez, Perez (there's an accent but I don't know how to do that), Pereira, and above all Diego Forlan, these were guys that I latched onto from the very start. I watched happily as they rolled through the group stage and into the quarterfinal. Still a bit bitter about Ghana's recent defeat of the US, I was heavily pulling for Uruguay in this matchup. But what occurred in the game made me think twice. Ghana scored first, leading many to believe that their historic run would continue to the semis. Then Forlan answered with a lovely free kick, tying it up. The game went into extra time, and in the waning seconds before the need for penalty kicks, Ghana put up a flurry of shots at the Uruguay goal, the third of which was batted away, not by goalkeeper Muslera, but by the forward Suarez. This action gave Suarez a red card and Ghana a penalty shot to win it, but at least it gave Uruguay a chance. Sure enough, Asamoah Gyan's PK hit the top crossbar, and the Uruguayans won in the ensuing penalty shots. While I thought Suarez's move made perfect sense, I also felt terrible for Gyan and the Ghanaians, the only team left representing the host continent. Either way, I was left totally dumbfounded by this result. Here's a look at Gyan's tragic misfire.




#8: Giants Beat Patriots in David vs. Goliath Super
Bowl Upset
When: February 3, 2008
Where I was: The classic Heartfield Super Bowl Party
The New England Patriots were scary good in 2007. They set an NFL record 589 points scored on the season, 315 more than their opponents could muster against them. They won every single game they played in the regular season, a first since its expansion to 16 games, and only four times did the opposing team come within 9 points of victory, while winning 10 games by at least 3 touchdowns. The Pats scored 75 times that season, nearly 5 a game. The numbers are appalling. The Giants were 14th and 17th in points scored and scored against, respectively. They were a solid, unexciting 12-4, up against perhaps the greatest team ever assembled. All the Patriots needed was one more win, over a team they had already beaten in their last regular season game, to claim the first 19-0 record in NFL history. Yet it wasn't to be. The Giants hung with the Patriots the whole game, finding themselves down 14-10 before a miraculous drive that included a one-handed/helmet game-saving catch on a broken play and capped by a lob to Plaxico Burress, followed by a clutch stop by the New York defense. Surely, it was a thrilling ending. But this Super Bowl made the list (the only one to do so) because I didn't give a Giants a chance in the world to win, and they proved me wrong. They proved the world wrong. I love that. Plus, it was nice seeing the Pats lose after what they did to us.

#7: Nadal Dethrones Federer in Classic Wimbledon Final
When: July 6, 2008
Where I was: My basement/the car/Joe's house

In my opinion, this was the greatest tennis match in history. It had it all. Two great champions, one just entering his prime, attempting to attain supremacy beyond his preferred court surface, and the other a legend of near-unequaled credentials, a gentleman, his best days soon to be behind him, attempting valiantly to maintain the grasp on the sport that he has held so tightly for so long. If symbolism was a major determinant in the making of this list, the crown jewel of the Fed-Rafa rivalry would undoubtedly find a place at least a few places higher. Nadal took the two first sets, but Federer refused to go down without a fight, winning the next two, both in tiebreaks, the 2nd of which was truly a sight to behold. In the end, Nadal managed to recover and take the championship, 9-7 in the 5th set. Along the way, the two played some incredible tennis that was a privilege to behold. This is a match I'll be telling my grandkids about.



#6: Michael Phelps wins 8 Olympic Golds

When: August 10-17, 2008
Where I was: My beach house
I'm aware that this is really eight moments, but I don't think any one of his accomplishments can be put into perspective if you don't look at the big picture. And anyway, I might as well cut him some slack. He seems like a real good guy, and he's definitely done a good job of showing the world that he knows how to have fun---------------->
Phelps went into Beijing with the goal of getting 8 golds, and everyone knew of his plans. He'd done very well in Athens in 2004, and seemed poised to make the leap to utter domination. And he did just that. He won all 8, requiring a ridiculous comeback to win by .01 over that guy everyone was rooting against (family excepted), and with some major help from Jason Lezak in the 400 free relay. Having the focus to beat the field 8 out of 8 times is pretty wild. The guy is an absolute freak. Just check out his diet. What really makes Phelps special is his versatility. He won the individual medleys even though he hates the breaststroke. By won, of course, I mean he set a world record. He did that in the butterfly and freestyle, too. That's just not supposed to happen. I absolutely can't wait for the Olympics this year, and Phelps is the primary reason. Can he equal '08? Maybe even beat it? I'm excited to find out. So why is this ranked higher than Usain Bolt? Three reasons:
1) I love when America dominates
2) This happened over a whole week, so there was always suspense about whether Phelps could keep going. Bolt's runs were amazing, but not as drawn out.
2) 8>2. When Bolt wins some hurdle events and the 10,000 meters, I'll reconsider. (I know this is a completely unfair comparison. I really just like the Americans)


#5: Tiger Woods Wins the US Open on One Leg
When: June 12-16, 2008
Where I was: Watching on a minuscule TV in the Chevy Chase Club (for the 4th round) and my living room (for the playoff)

You can look back at the first half of this list and see five feats as varied as they are extraordinary. One thing, however, can be certain in looking back on them. All of those involved were more or less healthy. Michael Phelps was in incredible shape. Nadal and Federer had no serious ailments holding them back. Yet Tiger Woods achieved a victory in a major golf tournament with a torn ACL, and a stress fracture on his tibia to boot. Noted, playing a round of golf is not as strenuous on the legs as the constant changing of directions and hard running found in a soccer or tennis match, but still. Woods was able to keep himself in the running, even while noticeably grimacing after every shot he hit. His ability to maintain the incredible focus that is necessary to compete at such a high level of the sport, under constant pain, is remarkable. Woods forced a playoff with Rocko Mediate with a signature 15-foot birdie at 18, then played even with the healthy Mediate through 18 more holes (that's 90 holes walked in 5 days on a bum leg. After doing the math, that's nearly 22 miles. Just managing that hike is a wonder in itself) before winning it all in the sudden death 19th hole of the day. Easily one of the gutsiest performances I can recall. Critics can say what they want about Woods' extramarital affairs and previously-unquestioned character, but golf needs this man. No one else can offer the kind of excitement and passion that Woods exudes, and brings out in golf fans everywhere. Hopefully he will build off the Chevron World Challenge victory. And beyond all that, I've really missed the celebrations. Keegan Bradley just isn't cutting it for me.

#4: The Death of Sean Taylor


When: November 27, 2007, 3:30 AM
Where I was: In bed, pretending to be asleep, listening to the radio
This was a different kind of jaw-dropping. It was a terrible tragedy for an incredibly talented football player and father to an 18-month old child. In his first three seasons, Taylor emerged as a force in the Redskins' secondary, being elected to the Pro Bowl following the 2006 season and being voted the league's hardest-hitting player by Sports Illustrated in 2007. He was leading the NFL in interceptions before getting injured midway through the '07 season. A few weeks later, intruders barged into his bedroom and shot Taylor in the leg, hitting the femoral artery. Taylor survived an emergency surgery, but died overnight. He had simply lost too much blood. Taylor's loss was a great one, for the Redskins and their fans as well as the entire league. Washington lost a standout defensive player who was improving in both play and behavior. The NFL lost a future star. Much more importantly, a child lost her father, and her mother her fiancé, to a senseless crime. This was a memorable event for all of the wrong reasons, the kind that could have and should have never happened, but at the same time, it is times such as these that we remember what is really important in life. Does the newfound lack of a standout safety really compare to the fact that a young girl can never again run into the safety of her father's arms? Of course not. Moments like this force us to reevaluate what is really important.

#3: "By George, the Dream is Alive!"
When: March 26, 2006
Where I was: A tiny bed & breakfast in Hot Springs, Va.

I absolutely loved the George Mason team. I recall watching their first game, and hearing that their star, Tony Skinn, had to sit out that day after punching a Hofstra player in the groin (and they still beat 5 seed Michigan State by 10). After they beat Carolina, I was hooked. I worshipped Skinn, Folarin Campbell, Lamar Butler, Will Thomas, and especially big #55 Jai Lewis (whenever picking out jerseys, I still will always search for 55). As the 11 seed improbably rolled into the Elite Eight, it appeared like the historic run would end. George Mason would face #1 seed UConn, led by Rudy Gay. However, the Patriots gave UConn all they could handle for 40 minutes, and the Huskies needed a buzzer-beating layup to send the game to overtime. Once again the underdogs took the lead, but some bad free throws and a big 3 from Marcus Williams cut the lead to 3 as UConn brought the ball up the court with 5 seconds left. Here's the call:
"Rebound UConn. Denham Brown, 3 to go. Denham Brown for 3..NO GOOD! BY GEORGE, THE DREAM IS ALIVE!" Though they would go on to lose to Florida in their next game, George Mason accomplished the impossible, defying the odds four consecutive times in the Road to the Final Four. You won't see any alumni of this team in the NBA right now (though my man Jai Lewis briefly got signed by the New York Giants as an O tackle), but that night, that one shining moment, the George Mason Patriots were on top of the basketball world.

#2: The Play


When: November 20, 1982
Where I was: Not yet born

Sometimes, I wish I was born a few decades earlier. Reasons include living in a society with a black (and alive) Michael Jackson, no federal deficit, and a Redskins team that looked more like a Super Bowl contender than a BCS bowl contender. But more than anything, I wish that I could have been at this game. I won't bother recapping what happened, because I just can't do it justice. Joe Starkey's call is, in my opinion, the greatest commentating performance in sports history. I remember in vivid detail being shown this tape as a 5 or 6 year old, and being totally mesmerized. That was the moment that I became a sports fanatic. I still dream about being in that crowd, not even as a fan of either team, but just standing there, basking in that historic moment, listening intently as the cheers and screams coming from one side of the stadium are replaced by even more frantic noise from the opposing half. Sure, I wasn't alive when The Play happened, but I sure as hell experienced it, perhaps with more amazement and wonder than any moment since.

#1: The Marathon Match


When: June 22-24, 2010
Where I was: Court 18, the All England Club

There is one reason, and one reason alone, why this sporting event is number one: I was there. Had I been keeping up on TV, it may have come in somewhere in the 5-8 range. But, by a stroke of absurd luck, I happened to visit London during the week that this match played out, and happened to get tickets to Wimbledon during the 2 days over which its 5th set was fought over. Here, I'll prove it to you (I can't actually prove it because you can't recognize me, but I'll point myself out anyway.



Ok. I didn't know how to paste a still frame of a youtube video onto this post, but this will do. Press play and skip to :57, then pause. You see that red thing on the left side of the screen, on line with the net? See that guy with the blue shirt directly to the left of it? That's me. If you can't tell, just take my word for it. They were good seats. I spent a solid day and a half watching this thing play out. It was absolutely incredible. Was the quality of tennis really great? No, not really, and it only got worse as the match went on. But that wasn't the point. This was history being made. The score just kept going up and up and up. Neither John Isner or Nicolas Mahut would give in. I couldn't believe that I was actually there, witnessing history through my own very eyes, not through the lens of a video camera. I watched in awe through all 8 hours, 11 minutes (over two days) of the final, deciding set. I sat mesmerized as both players smashed the previous record for most aces, most points won in a match, consecutive service games held, etc. At one point, I couldn't even tell what the score was anymore, because the scoreboard had broken. This match personified perseverance and drive. It was a historic moment, and one that I can always claim to have bore witness to. For those two days, I personally witnessed sports history for the first time in my life, and it was something that I could never forget. I walked into the entrance to court 18 that first morning excited to see a rising American talent. What I got was much more. That's what really makes this moment top the list, the fact that I had no idea of what I was in store for, and then proceeded to be blown away.



1 comment:

  1. Honorable mention: Elon beats South Carolina in basketball

    ReplyDelete