Sunday, June 17, 2012

A match made in heaven: The U.S. Open and Father's Day


Trying to thank fathers (and mothers) for everything they do is supremely silly and impossible, especially in one day.  The only way to repay them is to try to make grandkids for them that aren’t really annoying.  But just because you can’t fully repay them with a handwritten card or a burned cd (or nicer, more legitimate presents), doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a day together.  This Father’s Day, my dad and I ate at a soon-to-be closing restaurant that we used to visit weekly.  The Armands’ pizza buffet was delicious as usual, but the fuzzy memories of eating with my dad aren’t as temporary and I will enjoy them long after Armands closes and I forget what their deep-dish pies taste like.

            Soon we will watch the final round of the U.S. Open on TV and despite my strongest wishes, Tiger or Beau Hossler probably won’t win.  While I’ll be thoroughly disappointed for the next couple of days if neither of them do, in some years I won’t really care who won the 2012 U.S. Open Championship.  But I will care that I watched Rory McIlroy win at Congressional in person with my dad, or that we watched intently as Tiger forced a Monday playoff at Torrey Pines.  And I know I will care when my son wants to skip out on Father’s Day dinner because he wants to watch golf.  Thank you Dad, for teaching me the rules of golf, how to be sports fan, and how to enjoy the U.S. Open on Father’s Day.


Photo Courtesy of Getty Images


Likes us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment